Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Convert from MDP Activism to Realism: Nasheed aka President Exposed!

The following interview is a true account from a former Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) activist and how she found the truth about the real MDP. Her name is changed with her wish and intentionally part of her interview is edited without distorting the real content.

Fathindi (not real name) is from Seenu Hithadhoo lives in the neighbourhood of southern district of Hithadhoo. She migrated from her mother-island to Male’ – the capital city of Maldives for better education. Since then, she lived in Male’ from her young age to the end of her 20 years public service career in one of the Ministries in Male’. For reasons, she became frustrated with the previous government and gradually started to criticize the former government.

Before the formation of MDP she was involved in the anti-government campaigns and joined the party after its formation. She became an active member and involved physically in the anti-government rallies and MDP Haruge activities.

atollcounselor: Fathindi, could you please elaborate us little bit about your activities as you were a member of MDP.

Fathindi: I was someone who wants to give all my energy into the party and I was actively involved most of MDP gatherings and functions at Haruge and other places. I know everyone in the MDP...I mean the head of its members and I was very friendly with them and they know me as a good old friend.

atollcounselor: Did you involve any anti-government campaigns and thug activities such as the impairment of the government premises and public servants (police)?

Fathindi: For your first part of the question I would say yes but I didn’t harm anyone or damage any premises. As far as MDP activists concerns, their aim was to destroy everything they could find and touch. They were really irritated by the previous government and they were in the mood to pressure the government at any cost to bring down the regime. I would say most of the MDP members have bad attitude and may be it’s because most of the members are uneducated or frustrated by the previous regime. Also, I remember there were gatherings that advocated such attitude and especially, MDP officials (some of them are the founding members) advised to practice such belligerent actions in their rallies to pressure the government.

atollcounselor: When did you leave the party and what was the reason you left MDP?

Fathindi: I left the party before the presidential election. There are many reasons and there is one specific reason I left that party.

atollcounselor: Could you elaborate us that particular reason?

Fathindi: Out of many reasons, there was one occasion that I thought I should not further be involved in any MDP activities. By the way, no one told to me to leave the MDP and may be they still need me. That was one night that I received a call from a high official (name not revealed) to participate their ‘meeting’. After receiving that call I went to that location and I knocked the door and he (her friend) opened the door for me. Believe me that was the first time I saw something like that. There were the founding members of MDP and some of them in the sitting room enjoying with drinks (alcohol) and they politely asked me to join with them for a drink. That was a mind blowing moment for me...and that was the night I made up my mind not to join them and leave the party for betterment of myself and for the society. To be honest, that was the day I lost the faith of the party and at some point I thought I was betraying the nation being with them but I guess I am not anymore.

atollcounselor: That is interesting, could you tell us who were there in that so called meeting?

Fathindi I can tell you some of them...there were Munawar, Addu MP Aslam, Nasheed (president), Zaki, other few inner circle MDP members and my friend (the one who called me).

atollcounselor: Are you sure that the current President of Maldives Mr Mohamed Nasheed (President) was present in that room?

Fathindi: why would I tell a lie to if he wasn’t there and as far as I know most of them consume alcohol from my experience during my membership in the party?

atollcounselor: Are you still a member or do you still support MDP?

Fathindi: I am no longer a member of MDP and I have been concentrating on my own life rather involved in this dirty politics.

atollcounselor: What do you think of the current regime?

Fathindi: I am very sad of the political environment in the Maldives. My faith is lost for Anni and his attitude and behaviour is against Islam and I would say that he is a very irresponsible president. I believe that the president is creating an unsafe environment for our children and making more divisions within this small community for power greediness and other selfish reasons and we need to stop him!

atollcounselor: Thank you Fathindi!

Fathindi: Thank you

1 comment: